Crispy masala puri, also known as teekhi puri, is a delicious Gujarati snack that can be prepared and stored in airtight containers. Widely prepared in Gujarati homes, this is a good option while travelling.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes for 80 puris
- Atta (whole wheat flour) – 2 cups
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Dhaniya (coriander) powder – 1 tsp
- Haldi (turmeric) – ¼ tsp
- Jeera (cumin seeds) powder – 1 tsp
- Ajwain – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Water as required
- Oil for deep frying
- Take whole wheat flour in a deep bowl and add all the dry spices and salt.
- Coarsely grind cumin seeds, carom seeds and add to flour.
- Add oil and mix well. Add water and knead hard Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough and roll into a big chapatti. Do not roll too thin or too thick.
- Use a round shape bowl or cookie cutter to cut small puris. Poke them with a knife.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan. Fry 5-7 puris at a time on medium slow
- While adding puris, keep the flame on high and after adding the puris, flip them over on the other side and turn the flame slow.
- When the bubbles disappear and the puris turn hard, remove them from the pan.
- Prepare all the masala puris in the same way.
- Store the puris in an airtight container.