Khandvi, also known as patuli or dahivadi, is a savoury snack comprising of yellowish tightly rolled bite-sized pieces. Made of gram flour and yoghurt, it is considered an appetizer as well.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Besan (chickpea flour) – ½ cup
- Sour butter milk – 1¼ cup
- Hing (asafetida) – two pinch
- Haldi (turmeric) – one pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Green chillies, chopped – 1 no.
- Coconut, shredded – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves, chopped – 1 tsp
- Mix water, flour, salt and turmeric to form a batter.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan and add batter.
- Stir batter well and evenly to avoid lump formation.
- Cook till batter does not taste raw, stirring continuously.
- When done in about 7-8 minutes, pour a in a large flat tray.
- Spread batter as thin as possible using a spatula or the back of a large flat spoon.
- Use circular outward movements as done for flattening dosas.
- When cool, cut into 2-inch wide strips. Carefully roll each strip, repeat for all strips.
- Place rolls in a serving dish and season by sprinkling coconut, curry leaves and coriander over rolls.
- Heat oil in a small pan for tempering and add cumin, asafoetida, curry leaves and chillies.
- Add sesame seeds and immediately pour over khandvi rolls.
- Serve rolls with garlic chutney.