Internationally available with the ever-present base of diced potato, peas, sliced eggs and heavily-laid mayonnaise or sour cream. The traditional Russian version is fresher and crispier with a light smattering of mayonnaise. Tracing its origins to the mid-1800s, there is also a variation of cold Russian salad.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
- Carrots, diced – 2 cups
- Potatoes, chopped – 3 cups
- Peas, shelled – 1 cup
- Gherkins, sliced – 1 cup
- Mayonnaise – 2 tbsp
- Parsley, chopped – ½ cup
- Cook the carrots and potatoes in a pot of boiling salted water for 4 minutes.
- Then add peas and cook for 4 more minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Drain the water and let the vegetables cool for a few minutes.
- Then add them into a bowl which already has the gherkins, mayonnaise and parsley.
- Mix well so the mayonnaise coats the vegetables and season to taste.
- Serve with roast lamb or cold sliced ham or chicken.