Mishti Doi is a traditional Bengali dessert of sweetened yoghurt. The sweetness comes from lightly-caramelised sugar. Traditionally, the curd is set in earthen pots.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Setting: 10 – 11 hours
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Full Cream Milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – 8 tbsp
- Yoghurt – 1 tbsp
- Earthen Pot – optional
- Pour the milk in a thick bottom vessel and heat over low flame.
- When it starts boiling, add 4 tablespoons of sugar. Keep milk on simmer till volume is reduced to little less than half.
- Mix remaining sugar with 2 tablespoons of water. Heat water till the sugar dissolves and gets a golden brown colour.
- Add browned sugar syrup slowly over the milk and boil for another 15 minutes over low flame.
- Remove the vessel from heat and allow milk to become lukewarm.
- Pour the lukewarm milk into the earthen pot and add the yoghurt.
- Keep the pot in a cool dry place so that the yoghurt sets. This is generally done an overnight process.
- Refrigerate the set mishti doi for the next morning and serve as a dessert.