A crunchy snack made from chickpea flour and served with hot fried chillies or chutney. Fafda stalls sell freshly-made snacks every morning to customers waiting to be served. Fafda with jalebi is considered to be a great combination.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Besan (chickpea flour) – 1 cup
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ajwain (carom seeds) – ¼ tsp
- Haldi (turmeric) – 1/8 tsp
- Water – ¼ cup water
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Oil to deep fry
- Mix baking soda and salt into water.
- Mix the besan, ajwain, haldi and 1 tbsp oil together.
- Add water and knead into a soft dough.
- Take a portion of the dough and place it on a greased surface.
- With the base of the palm, drag the dough in a straight line, holding the dough at the starting point with the other hand. This will form a strip.
- (The alternative is to roll the dough into thin rounds between two sheets of greased polythene.)
- Fry these strips over medium heat until